One of my favourite childhood treats at Christmas time was Nuts and Bolts. That wouldn’t work for me at all these days, with all that sugar, salt and all kinds of gluten and chemicals … but I refuse to be deprived of a tradition!
Of course I’ve made my own, still rich, healthier version.
Here’s how it goes:
- Mix 1 cup each of 4 of your favourite nuts (I use almonds, hazelnuts, cashews and walnuts) with
- 2 cup each of sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds in a large bowl.
- Add 3 Tbsp of Bragg’s (gluten free soy sauce),
- 1 Tbsp of Worcestorshire sauce and
- 2 cloves finely minced garlic.
Mix all ingredients until everything is coated with liquid. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes and mix again. Spread everything onto 1 or 2 cookie sheets and slide them into a 325 F oven for 20 minutes, or until the nuts are browned.
To get the most even browning it’s a good idea to stir once or twice. Place the sheets on a rack to cool and be prepared to fight off nibblers. These will keep for weeks in a lidded container … if you can keep away the dreaded nibblers …
Small Print Notes:
These mixed nuts and seeds are wonderful to have on hand and are a great counterpoint to sweet treats.
They are also filled with magnesium, Vitamin E and manganese, along with other trace minerals AND are low in cholesterol. So many ways to be yummy…
Find the 12 Days of Christmas Day 1 Recipe here