Yes, I’ve done it again – substituting ingredients to suit my belly and my lifestyle. The ‘hamburger’ soup recipe is an old family favourite, but I don’t eat ground beef (or any red meats). I also like to keep family traditions going … albeit in my own weird way. So please, try this one out, then make it yours. There are lots of days that a hearty soup like this will feed your soul.
Ingredients: (All organic if you can. Your body will thank you.)
- 2 # hamburger (AKA ground turkey or tofu or beans or …)
- 2 T (tablespoon) olive oil
- 1/2 t (teaspoon) salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- to taste (t or more) oregano, basil, cumin or Mexican chili blend
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 onions chopped
Saute these ingredients until mostly cooked.
Add 6 c boiling water. (or chicken or veggie stock)
When it’s all boiling, add the following:
- 1/2 bunch celery all chopped
- several carrots sliced
- any other veggies you have that need using
- 1 c rice or lentils or ?
- 1-2 large cans diced tomatoes
- Himalayan rock salt to taste
Bring it all to a boil then simmer until savoury and calling to your taste buds.
I’ve added chilies to this recipe as well. It’s a tomato-y hearty soup and you can adjust it all kinds of ways. Curry with the tomato is also yummy.
If you want to see more recipes like this, check out my GF DF cookbooks here.