If you’re ready to feel lighter, stronger, more flexible
AND more fully in your power …
Just slide yourself on in to my Nia classes … and with each step notice how the global dance forms, martial arts, healing arts and powerful imagery feed your body & your spirit.
“ I have…never enjoyed an exercise program so much. Jan makes it such fun, and uses her imagination to create routines that are upbeat but, also, deeply satisfying. I find myself leaving class with a smile on my face…The influence of Nia has expanded my breathing and helped to put my body into alignment, so minor aches and pains have disappeared. I highly recommend both Nia and Jan teaching it, as life-affirming forces.”
Join me at:
Tuesdays, Thursdays 9:00 – 10:00 am
Saturdays 9:15 – 10:15 am
To register for the next session at the Sechelt Aquatic Centre, contact SCRD Recreation at 604-885-6865 … or sign up on-line. Just search for ‘Nia with Jan’
If you’re not sure about signing up, please drop-in ($13) to find out what you’ve been missing!
Watch for free TRY IT! Classes – the next one is fall 2018
THEN sign up (~.~)
*If you register for 1 class you can come 1 day/week … Tues or Thurs or Sat.
If you register for 2 classes you can come any 2 days/week.
….a little flexibility to help you fit movement into your busy life…
BONUS: Use of any of the Aquatic Centre facilities before or after your Nia class is included with your drop-in or session pass.
If you can’t make to my classes try NiaTV
With NiaTV you have UNLIMITED ONLINE ACCESS to the full Nia routine catalog featuring more than 24 dance routines, podcasts, meditations and exclusive livestreams all at your fingertips!
Simply click on the image below to for your free 15 day trial.
This is an affiliate link. I hope to fund my next snazzy NiaWear outfit this way 🙂
The Nia Workout: Good for your Body
- Nia tones your body and tunes your mind. Each workout brings mindfulness to your dance movement experience leaving you energized, mentally clear, and emotionally balanced.
- Nia cardio-dance workouts combine 52 simple moves with dance arts, martial arts, and healing arts to get you fit in 60 minutes – body, mind, emotions, and spirit.
- Nia is non-impact, practiced barefoot, and adaptable to individual needs and abilities.
Everyone can do Nia because the movements are so adaptable to varying skill and fitness levels.
” My triathlon training improved, my posture, my form and my confidence. I have had fewer injuries and of course the benefit of feeling absolutely beautiful while I am dancing away is the best gift I could give myself.” Benita Leech
“This class is great! I have been sedentary for years and this is the first class I have ever LOVED. It feels great and no pain! Jan is also full of infectious enthusiasm. I think this community might become fit because of people like her!” Kathleen Clarke
“Jan leads us through a soulful, graceful and powerful movement experience. It just keeps on getting better! ”
… and good for your Soul
Done to diverse and inspiring music, Nia is a transformational practice that teaches you to be more JOYFUL, EXPRESSIVE, and ALIVE in your body, both inside and outside the studio.
Nia is holistic: the carefully crafted routines combine a mindful, soulful approach to fitness with the proven benefits of cardio, stretching, and the use of natural body weight to build strength.
Nia creatively integrates movements, concepts and philosophies from both Eastern and Western traditions. Martial arts and meditative techniques teach mindfulness, a powerful tool for self-discovery. Dance techniques teach how to move with grace and fluidity. Integrative body therapies help us to self-heal through awareness and alignment that improves functioning.
- strengthens muscles, improves muscle tone, and increases muscle definition;
- calms the mind and relieves stress, improving cognitive functioning;
- creates weight loss and proper weight maintenance;
- improves endurance;
- increases grace and flexibility;
- improves posture and can even increase height;
- alleviates depression, anxiety, and stress;
- improves organ function, particularly that of the heart and lungs;
- improves circulation of blood and improves lymphatic drainage;
- enhances sensory awareness;
- strengthens immunity.
What to wear?
- Wear anything you are comfortable moving in that gives you a full range of motion.
- The class is active, so be prepared to sweat!
- Nia is done barefoot.
What to bring?
Bring water and payment for the class, if necessary. Most important, bring your curiousity
and a desire to have fun! Nia classes welcome all levels of fitness. I guide
the choreography and you personalize the movements to maximize your experience
of comfort and joy.